How much tax do I have to pay on a succession?
Last update: 10/1/2012
The tax is defined by Inheritance tax law.
The tax shall be calculated as a percentage of the taxable value of the inherited property applying the following rates:
- if the taxable value of the inherited property does not exceed LTL 0.5 million – 5 per cent;
- if the taxable value of the inherited property exceeds LTL 0.5 million – 10 per cent.
The following property shall be exempt from tax:
- the property inherited by a spouse upon the death of the other spouse;
- the property inherited by children (adopted children), parents (adoptive parents), guardians (custodians), wards (foster children), grandparents, grandchildren, brothers or sisters;
- the taxable value of the inherited property which does not exceed LTL 10 000.
How much inheritance tax?
Verification of application on the acceptance of a succession or the renunciation of an inheritance – 10-50 LTL
Succession certificate for funds in accounts for natural persons – 20 LTL
Succession certificate for an immovable – 0,1% value of the property inherited, but not less than 50 LTL and not more than 1000 LTL.
Succession certificate for other property – 20 – 100 LTL
(Order No. 57 of 12 September 1996 of the Minister of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania “Provisional rates of fees charged by civil law notaries for the performance of notarial deeds, drafting of transactions, advice and technical services”).
Can the estate be subject to taxation in one or more Member States? Are there double taxation agreements?
The object of the tax payable by a resident of Lithuania shall be the inherited property. The object of the tax payable by a non-resident of Lithuania shall be the inherited item of movable property where this type of item is subject to legal registration under legal acts of the Republic of Lithuania and where it is (or must be) registered in Lithuania, and also an item of immovable property located in the Republic of Lithuania.
A resident of Lithuania may deduct from the amount of the inheritance tax (official internet link for latest Inheritance Tax Law of the Republic of Lithuania English version available) calculated in accordance with the procedure laid down by the Inheritance Tax Law the amount of the established inheritance tax or an equivalent tax paid in a foreign state on the inherited property located in that state, provided the state is included in the list approved by the Minister of Finance.
Choose another topic of
Successions in Lithuania
Current country: Germany